Friday, November 19, 2004

My Prayer

The following prayer is from Hannah Whitall Smith, in The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life, near the end of chapter 4. She wrote the prayer in thee-thou-thy English; I have updated the language to make it more my own language.

Lord Jesus,

I believe that You are willing and able to deliver me from all the care and unrest and bondage of my Christian life. I believe You died to set me free, not only in the future, but now and here. I believe You are stonger than sin, and that You can keep me, even me, in my extreme of weakness, from falling into its snares or yielding obedience to its commands.

And Lord, I am going to trust You to keep me. I have tried keeping myself, and have failed, and failed most grievously. I am absolutely helpless. So now I will trust You. I give myself to You. I keep back no reserves. Body, soul, and spirit, I present myself to You, as a piece of clay, to be fashioned into anything Your love and Your wisdom shall choose.

And now I am Yours. I believe You accept that which I present to You; I believe that this poor, weak, foolish heart has been taken possession of by You, and that You have even at this very moment begun to work in me to will and to do of Your good pleasure. I trust You utterly, and I trust You now.

1 comment:

Bob Sander-Cederlof said...

My sister tried to add a comment, and did not know how to proceed after Publish Your Comment.